SPAIN | Movida Madrileña
8 DAYS / 6 NIGHTS
DAY 1: DEPART (Saturday)
- Fly overnight to Madrid.
DAY 2: MADRID (Sunday)
- Bienvenidos a España! Your Spanish Forum Tour Manager will greet you at the airport and will remain with your group for the duration of your stay.
After check-in at your hotel, take a few moments to drop off your luggage and freshen up.
Follow your tour guide on a walking tour of Madrid. Discover Plaza de España with Cervantes’ monument, la Puerta del Sol, the lively Gran Via, the trendy Calle de Alcalá in the heart of Old Madrid.
Enjoy a welcome dinner with your tour manager in a local restaurant.
Night accommodation in Madrid.
DAY 3: MADRID & SURROUNDINGS
- Today after breakfast, meet your local guide and visit the Museo National del Prado where you will see masterpieces by Goya and Velazquez, including Las Meninas, considered by some art historians to be the greatest painting ever created.
- Free time for lunch in the beautiful and spacious Parque del Retiro, a park initially intended as a playground for royalty.
- Later, visit the Royal Palace – an immense 18th century palace twice the size of Buckingham Palace and one of the most beautiful in Europe.
- Tonight for dinner, enjoy an authentic surtido de tapas.
- Night accommodation in Madrid.
DAY 4: MADRID
- This morning after breakfast, you will board a private motor coach and drive to Cáceres, 300 kilometers southwest of Madrid. This city in Extremadura is unique because of its historic features, which range from the Middle Ages to the classical period. Discover the Plaza Mayor, constructed in the 12th century.
- Free time to have lunch and explore the city.
- Visit the superb Cáceres Museum where you will journey through the rich archaeological history of the city.
- Drive to Mérida, 50 kilometers south of Cáceres.
- Enjoy a typical Extramaduran dinner at a local restaurant.
- Night accommodation in Mérida.
DAY 5: MERIDA – MADRID
- Breakfast at your hotel before visiting the city of Mérida.
- Mérida is heir to a splendid Roman past. Discover its breathtaking theatre, amphitheatre and temple that make this one of the best conserved archaeological sites in Spain.
- Return to Madrid for dinner and night accommodation.
DAY 6: MADRID – TOLEDO – MADRID
- This morning after breakfast, you will visit a local Spanish school. Participate in classes and activities with Spanish students your age.
- Lunch at the school cafeteria.
- This afternoon, explore the 20th-century art collection exhibited at the Reina Sofia. Formerly a hospital, it now houses masterpieces by Spanish superstars such as Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dalí.
- Have some free time for shoping on the trendy Calle Fuencarral.
- Dinner in the heart of Madrid.
- Night accommodation in Madrid.
DAY 7: MADRID
- This morning after breakfast, head over to the Mercado San Miguel, right outside of Plaza Mayor, one of the oldest and most beautiful markets in Madrid. Enjoy the vast selection of food offered, as well as the fun, vibrant atmosphere.
- Stroll along Gran Vía in central Madrid to admire its impressive architecture. What makes it truly unique is its many historical theaters and cinemas, akin to Broadway in New York City.
- Finish your stroll at the Plaza Cibeles with and admire the palace.
- Snack on traditional Spanish churros at Chocolateria San Ginés. Over a century ago this chocolatier opened its doors in a hidden alleyway between Puerta del Sol and Plaza de Ópera. Today San Ginés serves up the most famous churros in Madrid.
Enjoy a farewell dinner near la Puerta del Sol.
DAY 8: DEPART
- Today after breakfast, transfer to the airport and catch your flight back home!
¡Hasta luego y buen viaje!